Thursday, February 21, 2008

Seeing the World through 'Rose' Colored Glasses

I began in this world with
Pansies and sunflowers
A furry companion
And an obsession with horses.

The world kept from me was of
Drug deals and hard drives
Skeletons kept in closets
Bursting with other people's bones
Trying to escape as fast as their owners.

I survived that world of
Sewing machines and bursting seams
With drumsticks and laughter.

But soon the beat turned to
Red eyes,
White pills,
and Blue walls,
Half an hour a week
And my tour of duty was over.

The world I escaped to was full of
Sunshine and saltwater
Sword fern and British accents
Bob Marley, Jack Johnson
And Dave Matthews band.
Then the friendship bracelets
Fell off and I started to forget
Why they mattered so much.

I learned that in the world of
Potatoes and sagging pews
each Tuesday at 2:00,
Wal-Mart and Midnight curfew
That when one gets the flu
Worshipping the porcelain goddess
Is blasphemous,
And open and honest communication
Does not exist.

Now I live in a world of
Cardboard and packing tape
Recycling and laundry baskets
French toast and Dialysate.
So it seems
That all my world’s have given me
Are wilted flowers
And dead dogs.

4 comments:

chicklegirl said...

Beautiful and full of pathos. The last stanza... I see you there, I see the house. And those final three lines... I just want to give you a hug.

chckkysmile said...

I would love one...but really, come here!

chicklegirl said...

I'll see what I can do...

Anonymous said...

ha.

that's great.

ii'm just a random person, and i saw this. so cool.